Monday, February 29, 2016

Spice Girl






The secret of happiness is variety, but the secret of variety, like the secret of all spices, is knowing when to use it. - Daniel Gilbert Happiness, Knowing, Secrets

I was never really taught  how to cook, my mother was not one to share kitchen time as a learning experience. Her objective was to put food on the table and clean up the kitchen - no room for fun here. I like to tell people I am a "self taught" cook, everything to me is a learning experience. My creativity in the kitchen can be beneficial as well as not. I have learned over the years some things can not be varied and rules must be followed.  One of the things I was never really comfortable with was the use of spices. Growing up there were two spices in mom's kitchen, salt and pepper. While I enjoyed cooking and I could follow recipes and understood the essentials of spices, I still didn't feel I had a grasp on what spice was enhancing what foods.

So the journey begins one wintery day when my husband and I stopped in World Market and I purchased several spices and jars.  That evening I researched each spices (nerdy yes that's who I am) and recorded the information in a tiny & cute notebook. The next day I cleaned the jars, labeled them (this took much deliberation) and welcomed them to my kitchen.

For the past months I have so enjoyed cooking and my new love of spice knowledge.  I have picked up my next round of experimentation; arnica, chamomile and lavender; I am excited to see where they take me in my culinary skills.

Be present in your skills, learn and understand. Most of all savor the essence of each moment.

Happy Leap Year!


No comments: