Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Gathering From Your Garden

Copies of pressed flowers and slide frames. 
Slide Art Mounted on Vintage Book Pages
Summertime is a splendid time to gather organic resources for your mixed media art. I like to use this season to collect flowers.

I have a couple of flower presses and fill them quickly. Of course I sometimes revert to the standard of placing them in between pages of books (which is always a lovely find when I later flip through the book).

If you have read my first book Collage Playground F + W Media, North Light Books (2010) you might remember how I store collage resources (like pressed flowers). A three ring binder, page protectors, a sharpie and labels - easy enough.

The purple flowers are phlox, pressed and printed on mixed media paper. The red flowers are pressed and printed on vellum - aren't they vivid?

Slides are numerous and easy to find. To use them as frames, slide a craft knife between the front and back of the plastic frame, twist a bit and pop open. Place your art in and pop back together. If you are interested in learning more about slide art - my next book Mixed Media Handbook F + W Media, North Light Books (Fall 2014) will also showcase some ideas.  In the meantime, gather some flowers and begin pressing!

Slide art, mounted on plat. 
Pressed flowers printed on vellum with slide frames.

No comments: